Governor Noem Announces K-12 Connect
Governor Kristi Noem has announced the launch of K-12 Connect, a program to provide internet service at no cost to eligible K-12 students in their homes for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.
Eligible households will receive a letter indicating eligibility and identifying a telecommunications company to call to access free internet service through K-12 Connect. Letters were mailed October 26. To enroll, eligible households must call the telecommunications company noted in their letter to set up service. Providers will install the necessary equipment on a first-come, first-serve basis. Internet service will be provided through June 30, 2021. After that time, the household must return the equipment to the provider or continue services at the household's expense.
Eligible households must meet all of the following requirements:
- Have at least one student currently enrolled in an accredited South Dakota K-12 school; and
- Must meet the income eligibility guidelines for the free and reduced school lunch program; and
- The household must not have been subscribed to a fixed broadband internet service as of July 1, 2020.
Enrollment closes Nov. 20, 2020. K-12 Connect is a partnership of the South Dakota Governor’s Office, Bureau of Information and Telecommunications, Department of Education, and participating telecommunications companies.
If you have not received a letter, but believe your household is eligible, please call (605) 773-3248 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Telecommunications companies who are participating in K-12 Connect include:
- Alliance Communications Cooperative
- Beresford Municipal Telephone Company
- Faith Municipal Telephone Company
- Fort Randall Telephone Company
- Golden West Telecommunications
- Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative
- Kennebec Telephone Company
- Long Lines Broadband
- Midstate Communications
- RC Technologies
- Santel Communications Cooperative
- Swiftel Communications/Brookings Municipal Telephone
- TrioTel Communications
- Valley Telecommunications Cooperative
- Venture Communications Cooperative
- West River Cooperative Telephone Company
- West River Telecommunications Cooperative